Remodelling of Ramsgate Station Forecourt
This project was a Design & Build Contract to improve passenger experience and provide a safer route when accessing and egressing the station car park and station building while ensuring minimal disruption to the remainder of the forecourt and carpark to maintain profitability. SWIFT RAIL SERVICES developed the design through concept stage, optioneering and option selection stage and then performed the role or Project Manager through detailed design to implication and handover.
The works involved Remodelling of the Station’s Forecourt including the provision of 2No. Raised pedestrian crossing refuges within the forecourt to provide safer access and egress to the station and provide a segregated bus lane, combined taxi bays and drop of area with a through road to the remainder of the carpark. Further works were carried out on the adjoining highways and footways to include further crossing refuges, build outs, footway realignment and widening, revised carriageway markings and new signage and lighting to suit the new layout. All works were phased to minimise disruption and maintain maximum productivity from the car park bays.
Project tasks comprised of the following:
- Applications for closure of PROW footway, S278 Agreement and storm water connections;
- Undertaking stage1, 2 and 3 Road Safety audits;
- Install refuge islands to separate access into three lanes – Bus lane, combined taxi and drop of lane and through lane to car park;
- Provide safer access routes throughout forecourt and adjoining carriageways and footways – inc. raised crossing points;
- Installation of new cycle shelter;
- Additional refuge crossing points and build outs;
- Widening existing PROW footway (inc working adjacent to railway sidings);
- Upgrade lighting throughout forecourt and adjoining carriageways and footways;
- Associated signage and street furniture.
SWIFT RAIL SERVICES worked closely with all affected stakeholders including KCC, Thanet District Council and Southeastern. SWIFT RAIL Construction Consultnats arranged the Stage 1 safety audit and then checked the stage 2 and 3 safety audits, helping to implement the S278 agreement and get the S278 agreement signed off at completion.